cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 - no sim card installed

Journeyman

iphone 5 - no sim card installed

Sprint tried to activate my iphone 5 last night but it doesn't work with a 'no sim card installed' error.  The technician just gave up and told me to go to a store.  Now I not only do not get to use my new iphone 5 on the first weekend, but I also have no cell phone because he didn't switch it back to the original one, unbelievable!!!  Sprint is there anyone competent that can help me online without sending me on a wild goose chase???

21 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: iphone 5 - no sim card installed

I've seen one report of this and cleaning the SIM card with denatured alcohol resolved the problem.

Journeyman

Just started having this issue too. Less and than 24 hours...This is ridiculous!

Journeyman

Same issue here too.  They asked me to open SIM tray to see if the phone has SIM card inside.  There was no SIM card inside with my iPhone 5.  Now, I have to return it in 10 days and need to wait for next shippment which will be at least 3 weeks.  I am not happy.

Journeyman

Ohh wow...I went to the sprint store and he took out my sim card and put it back in and now its working. If it happens again to go to the Apple store and they woud give me a new one. Before you send it back why don't you go to the Apple store. He told me it was best to do that because if I sent back the phone I would have to wait for a new one.

Journeyman

no SIM card in my iphone 5 either.... i talked to sprint 12 times since 3p Yesterday (with half the reps telling me iphone 5 doesnt need a sim card and the other telling me it does).  been on hold for about 8 hrs total, vistied 2 sprint stores and also talked to apple 3x( who told me its carrier issue).  to be told at 205p today by sprint that i have to send it back and wait for a replacement order in up to 3 weeks.  because they cannot just send me a SIM card, due the nano technology.  i have cried about 3 times since yesterday.  my evo charger port is broken and i have been without a phone for 3 weeks now.  its just such a dissapoinment.

Journeyman

We had the same error.  Settings>>General>>Reset(at the bottom)>>Reset Network fixed it for us. For now anyways....

Journeyman

Sprint online chat support was able to do something on the server side (while my phone was powered off) on Saturday to get my phone working but on Sunday it went back to 'No SIM').

I called support and they said to try to dial ##873283# (##UPDATE#).

This actually worked for a few hours, but it went back to 'No SIM' again.

##UPDATE# isn't working now.

Sprint you need to look seriously into this thread.  This is a massive fail on the launch weekend of a device that is going to make or break the survival of your company.

Journeyman

Got it working for about 30 minutes today with the ##update# but went back to 'no sim card installed'.  I am certain it's not a problem with the phone itself because once a chat technician was able to fix it remotely while my phone was powered off without me doing anything.  It's clearly some setting on the server side that isn't getting persisted and constantly reset.  I will try to take it into the store once but the second I hear it's going to take three weeks (by the way you may just get someone else's returned and repaired phone instead of another new one), I will be returning it and switching to Verizon.

Journeyman

BTW thanks to everyone else for the replies.  I have cleaned the nanosim with alcohol, I have popped it out and popped it back in (obviously at least once to clean it), and also tried the 'reset network' trick.  None of these three have worked for me.  Only the ##update# intermittently but only for 30-60 minutes before going back to no sim.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.