cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Hotspot option missing from iPhone 5S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Personal Hotspot option missing from iPhone 5S

I have an iPhone 5S that I bought last year from a Sprint Store and I cannot see the option to start a Personal Hotspot. The option is missing. I've tried refreshing the services by dialing ##873283# and once the service update is complete, I do see the Personal Hotspot option show up for a moment but almost immediately, it disappears again and a message, "No SIM Card Found" is displayed.

I haven't opened the SIM tray on my iPhone at all and this device has never been taken in for any kind of servicing (since I really didn't need it). Am I missing a SIM card? I realize that one isn't needed for Sprint since it's CDMA and it doesn't bother me, per se, since I rarely travel out of the country but why would the SIM card be required for the Personal Hotspot option anyway? Where do I get one?

Thanks!

- vj

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master

Re: Personal Hotspot option missing from iPhone 5S

someoneTookMyName, Thank you for reaching out to us. Did you try checking the tray to make sure that there's not a SIM card? The iPhone 5S needs a SIM card. You can get a SIM card at a Sprint corporate. - Fernendez
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem. I upgraded from the IPhone 5 to the 6 plus and I am missing the personal hotspot as well which prohibits me from using the handoff feature or continuity. Please help!

Highlighted
Master

KeepInItSimple, Hi there! I know it is frustrating when our services and devices do not work as they should. I am here to do all that I can to help. I want to inform you that the hotspot service does not work and is not supported unless it is added to your plan. Is it on your plan? Please send us the requested information from the following link: http://bit.ly/1qQty1X

- Sheila
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi KeepInItSimple and someoneTookMyName. There's a long thread on this going on here:

Re: iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

Unfortunately by the answers these representatives are clearly cutting and pasting, we're not seeing much of an answer as to why something built into the phone needs to be added to your plan. It's kind of like if you were to ask why a store is going to charge you extra for using more than one cup when you buy a liter bottle of soda, and the store were to reply, "you need to choose a plan that lets you use your own cups."

They aren't empowered or smart enough to tell you that they want you to pay more if you're going to tether unlimited data so you can't abuse the system and because they want to charge you more, and that even though some plans with fixed data give it for free, they have no idea why and they don't care enough to get a real answer.

It's amazing that Sprint's customer service is so clueless on the phone, but for them to share the same "we don't care enough to do it right" attitude in a social media venue makes me wonder if management has any idea that their strategy of not engaging customers honestly is out there for all to see....

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, so, so worthlessly weak. This has been an issue for years. No legit solutions from support. Why has Sprint not solved this problem? Oh yea, I forgot, Sprint is actively facilitating the continuation of the problem to keep services from customers that have paid for the service. So worthless. So weak. This 11 year customer is about to bounce to AT&T.

Highlighted
Master

JCHAND In your post you mentioned being an 11 year customer with Sprint, we want to thank you so much for being such a loyal customer and certainly would like you to stay with us. Please let us know how we can assist you. - Judith
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat