cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock Sprint Phone for International use.

Journeyman

Unlock Sprint Phone for International use.

A few months ago the issue with sprint started. They were normally very well educated representatives who gave great advice. However, unfortunately at my expense the experience all changed. I was informed that I was going overseas to serve my country something that I am proud to do. Like any customer I contacted Sprint in order to get insight for what it would mean for me and my contract. After talking to several customer reps. I was advised to terminate my account free of charge since I was going overseas for military duty. After my account was terminated they then would give me a unlock code which would allow my iPhone 5s to be used with international carriers during my time abroad. Once I arrived to my new station amongst the stress I was trying to settle my cellphone situation so I can communicate. To my surprise, the codes given to me were for domestic use only. (However, Sprint iPhones do not work with domestic carriers so I do not understand why they would give me that anyways) After, spending several hours with them on the phone late at night due while having to handle the stress of working overseas. They told me I could not have my phone unlocked because my account is terminated. After looking over their unlocking policy (http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html) being a military personnel I should of had no issue unlocking my account. Not to mention that according to the CTIA (http://www.ctia.org/policy-initiatives/voluntary-guidelines/consumer-code-for-wireless-service)

(6) Deployed Personnel Unlocking Policy. Carriers will unlock mobile wireless devices for deployed military personnel who are customers in good standing upon provision of deployment papers.

I provided them with all necessary information while state side yet was still wronged.

Now that I am overseas I am trying to use this phone that I paid for and according to their policies should be unlocked. Instead they are telling me I will have to open a new account wait 90 days and then possibly they will help me. Obviously why should I have to pay for a USA cell phone plan and a International cell phone plan while I wait for them to unlock my phone when they failed to assist me in the first place.

What I am asking what continuity is there in policies when I supplied all info and yet as a company Sprint fails to abide by them?

Can anyone give me guidance to get these phones unlocked?

From my research I learned that all Sprint needs to do is speak to Apple about unlocking my phone and over WIFI I can unlock my iPhone and use it with an international carrier.

41 REPLIES 41
Journeyman

Re: Unlock Sprint Phone for International use.

Please, someone tell me that there is a way. I would hate to have to leave a company with a bad taste. Not to mention I use to recommend sprint to coworkers, family and friends. After this experience I am unsure that I can return to them not to mention recommend them to anyone in the future.

Journeyman

I turned to the FCC also for guidance. Here is some interesting information I found.

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

Q: Are There Military Exceptions to Allow Device(s) to Be Unlocked Early for Deployments?

Yes. If you are deployed internationally or receive orders for international deployment, providers must unlock your device upon verification of deployment under the new standards. Contact your mobile service provider, provide verification of your deployment, and request that your device(s) be unlocked.

Journeyman

I also forgot to mention where I found out that all Sprint has to do is talk to Apple inorder to have my phone on the unlock list. Which should be simple right? Please customer care advise on why I am having an issue?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/everything-need-know-unlocking-iphones/

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1937

Master

TrytoUnderstand201

We thank you for your service unfortunately there is no way to unlock your phone for international use unless the requirements are met on our unlocking policy. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Lindale
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

However, I do meet the standards. I did all I was supposed to do when I recieved my orders and asked specifically while I still had an active line on how to unlock the phone. They customer service reps misguided me with wrong information. I can provide account numbers and phone numbers. I did everything a customer in my position was supposed to do. And according to the FCC and CTIA and your own policy i should be receiving assistance. I did not ask for a "MSL" unlock clearly when I provided orders stating I was going to outside of domestic carrier use. So clearly there is a form of miscommunication between me and the sprint staff that will need to be resolved correct? Please assist.

Journeyman

please read above posts and links again on how Sprint should be handling the situation because I clearly show how I meet the standards or policy. Thank you.

Master

TrytoUnderstand201

We understand where you're coming from. Your line should have been placed on military standby while deployed and not cancelled. We apologize for the misinformation. The account needs to be active and in good standing for it to be unlocked for overseas use. There is no way to unlock it when the service is cancelled.

Lindale
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

can you the re-activate it into military standby since the information was wrong then we can fix this and when I come back to the states resume my service with Sprint?

Journeyman

it has been 21 hours still no support from this site and it has be 48+ hours since reporting this issue to sprint. Been told it's in the "Back Office". I just want an update on my issue.

Master

TrytoUnderstand201 - Please send us a private message, so we can look into this for you. Click on the following link http://bit.ly/1qQty1X for instructions. - Robert
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Well, I already sent one, then was told to call numbers I already call then to have them continue the run around process i already have been apart of. Please get with your staff and advise correctly with a solution. So many people are complaining about your service. For years I had no issue, I am trying to understand what is so difficult. I am a military member who followed all policies then the customer care rep made a mistake when I requested my phone be internationally unlocked. Now I am getting the run around and told there is no help for me or i need to wait for this section or that section or call here? Are you saying there are no resident experts at the Sprint Call center? I am currently waiting for "BACK OFFICE" support. Hopefully this is not another way to give me a even longer run-a-round. I am hoping in all this a resolution will be found in a timely manner.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat