cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock Sprint Phone for International use.

Master

Re: Unlock Sprint Phone for International use.

TrytoUnderstand201 - We have just responded to you via private message. - Robert
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

OK, I just responded back.

Journeyman

After chatting with customer care and the international team today. We so far have re-activated my line, and requested that the lines will be in military suspend. After chatting with Customer Care they said they will transfer me to the International team who CAN and WILL unlock my phone for international use. (I have this in the chat transcript) But the international team is saying that I currently have to wait for approval for a rush unlock for international use since they just can't unlock it. The policy is that I need to be active for 90+ days. Even though I have been a customer for around 4 years and have no reason until now to ever leave. The "Back Office" is the last hoop for me to jump though. Supervisor of the online international chat Richard is expediting my case so I should hear something today. He said they "Back Office" will review my case and decide if my devices should be  unlocked if they fall under their policy.

Here is there Policy:

Unlocking for military personnel

Military personnel traveling abroad for a short period of time may wish to have their Sprint service provisioned to allow for international roaming. See sprint.com/international for full details.

Military personnel deployed overseas for extended periods of time may prefer to try to use their Sprint device with a foreign carrier. For certain devices engineered to include a SIM slot, Sprint may be able to unlock the device's SIM slot in order for a foreign carrier's SIM card to be inserted. Sprint will unlock, or facilitate the unlock of, the SIM slot of an applicable device under the following circumstances:

• The subscriber is an active member of a branch of the United States military
  • The subscriber has been issued overseas deployment papers.
  • The person requesting the unlock is a current Sprint customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
  • The person requesting the unlock can authenticate as the Account Holder or an Authorized Contact.
  • The account is in good standing (including but not limited to: payments are current, no write-off balance, not associated with a phone sent to collections, etc.).
  • The subscriber with which the device is associated has not previously unlocked another device within the past 12 months.
  • The device is capable of international SIM unlock.

Please note that unlocking the SIM slot does not allow for use with domestic (U.S.) SIMs. When using a foreign carrier's SIM it is important to note that all information, service and support must be provided by that carrier. You remain responsible for any charges to your Sprint account, as well as any charges from the foreign carrier. Upon returning to the U.S., you may need to remove the foreign carrier's SIM to be able to acquire the Sprint network.

Military personnel deployed overseas can contact Sprint Worldwide Care to unlock the device SIM slot. Sprint Worldwide Care can be reached via chat or email from sprint.com/swwsupport or by calling 888-226-7212.

So going over the checklist:

I am Active Duty

I have orders

It is my account

I can access it and provide access

I pay my sprint bill (early most of the time)

Never asked for an unlock until this deployment

iPhone 5s which is able to be sim unlocked

I should have a strong case and an answer by the end of the day. I will keep everyone posted and hopefully Sprint is taking care of me.

Wish Me LUCK

Journeyman

So This is the response I got. Mind you I was a customer for 3 years before my account got "canceled" and reactivated" SO none of this is labeled in the policy for unlocking for military members.

"Device Unlock Request Case Id: 83296394

Unable to process a device unlock request when a device activation is still within the 14 days.

PTN ###-###-#### must be active a minimum of 15 days with no exceptions to attempt verification in the system to unlock a device. This is why we are unable to process any unlocks on a device within the first 14 days of activation."

Master

TrytoUnderstand201,

That is correct. The device would need to be active in order for us to properly research this and work it out. Did you have this device active on the account before now?

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Yes, I had these lines active and these phones active for almost a year but the lines or at least 1 of the lines were open for 3.

Journeyman

international team echat supervisor just informed me. That he wants to help but My wife and I have to wait the full 15 days. So that means my wife and I will not be able to communicate or have a phone line until the 15 days are up. Since the international team can't do anything and the "Back Office" does not want to help us. So we asked to have this done before we moved. Get here find it was not done correctly. Now in the stress of being overseas we are unable to get the support we need by Sprint. I will be filing a complaint with the FCC, CTIA and Sprint since the policy clearly states for military personnel my phones will be unlocked. Nothing to my knowledge states I should be jumping through all these hoops and waiting 15 days nothing not even on your own website. Sprint, you are really causing me a crazy amount of hassle. So when I hear that I will be taken care of and supported but then get very little of slow support it makes me wonder. As well, I have a transcript of a convo with a sprint care represenitive that I will be helped. So far I am not really be helped I am being told to wait for this or do this then do this. I am hoping someone in your company can help me. Pleas Sprint, someone should have the authority to expedite this.

Master

TrytoUnderstand201 - Thanks for the info. We do understand your frustration. Have you been dealing with the international department or the military suspend department? Let me know!- Sean
Sprint Social Care
Master

Hi TrytoUnderstand201,

Thank you for contacting Sprint with your issue. Open this link so that we will be able to assist you properly: http://bit.ly/1qQty1X

Thank you,

Michael
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I already have sent numerous PM chats. EACH time they tell me they can help me. THEN come up with a new reason after a few hours why they can't. I DO NOT KNOW if that is truth or not. I am starting to feel like maybe the Sprint CUSTOMER care lack the training to adequately support me. I will make sure it is known, that you DO NOT provide quality assistance to MILITARY MEMBERS OVERSEAS. Happy Veterans Day!

Journeyman

So everyone knows, so future customers do not have to deal with this craziness, I have just finished my complaint with the Better Business Bureau, FCC and CTIA for Volunteer Wireless standards, as well as gave Sprint all avenues to resolve the issue. SOON I will try to chat with other customer reps from Sprint Competitors not because I want to leave Sprint. But I want to give them information of how Sprint treats me so they can inform potential customers. I may ask a legal advisor what I should do because I feel I have done all I can and fit the military unlock policy.

Journeyman

I am very bummed to hear that!  I was a nextel customer who paid high rates solely because of the service i recieved every single time i phoned in. I and at the same time i remember seeing family and freinds go for months at a time dealing with charges that were inapropriately charge, and i am not exaggerating, two of them, a roomate and my mother, litteral had proof of this.  One was via a letter or transcript from their cust svc chat and the other was act ually a phone with customer service that sprint recorded and literally played back to prove their point and their it was plain as the nose on my face and they had to go round and round for weeks one was several months before some one got hold of the proof and realized that sprint could not win ... i vowed to never leave nexttel no matter the cost or my financial status and then one day i heard of this horrible news and was ready to walk the first sign of trouble, well i am thinking i got lucky for a very long time because i just started feeling this way myself and now to hear your story.  Sprint is starting to think they are a little too big and going back to their old ways of poor service.      I dont like the idea of changing because after 15+ years i just dont like the hassle of changing but i am seriously considering and it's january before i am no long in contract.

sorry that happened to you .. honestly i would tell your story on many social networking sites ask people to share and share.

and by the way, they can unlock ANY phone that is on their network,  Not this "Sprint may be able to unlock the device's SIM slot in order for a foreign carrier's SIM card to be inserted." and it shouldnt matter if the phone was ever unlocked before ! you are military with orders and it is our jobs as citzens to respect that, especially businesses.   Also it shouldn't even have to be written in a policy ~ what so they can get out of doing if the service member does not meet all criteria ~  the service member is deploying, that and only that should be the requirement!

Thank you for all you do by the way!!!!!  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat