cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

Go to solution
Journeyman

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

REF: Apple - iOS 8 - Continuity

I've updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 8 for many reasons, but most importantly so that I could employ the OS' in-built, system-managed "Instant Hotspot". Alas, Sprint, it appears, has blocked this feature. It has literally had it removed from the operating system.

So, my question is, why should I stay with Sprint if it's going to take advantage of me at every turn? The marketplace is literally chock-full of competitors that can effectively compete in Northern and Southern CA... Why stay with Sprint?

Alternatively, why would Sprint prevent the employment of an operating system based functionality? To be clear, this is not the service you'd previously have to pay for as it was routed by the carrier through the phone (where as the phone now routes the transmission between devices via the OS). REF:http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Turn_WiFi_hotspot_on_or_off_Apple_iPhone_5_16GB/44049-119...

It's just upsetting*.

*To be clear, I would've used more colorful language, but who wants to give'em a legitimate reason to take this down?

96 REPLIES 96
Journeyman

Re: iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

im with you ....It's sad to pay so much money for crappy service every month.....that works half the time....the contract says if I break the contract I pay .....what if sprints not holding up their end .....is that a breach on their behalf....i think if Apple designs a feature for a phone then we the consumer (the people paying sprint.... The people buying the phones) should have full access to this feature.

did not mean to ramble

Journeyman

The ios 8 hotspot is an automatic feature.  You will never see an option in settings to turn it on.   If you have a recent BLE MacBook running Yosemite, ipad4 or greater, iPad mini. or current gen iPod touch your iphone should automatically he your iphone listed under wifi.  Provided all devices are logged into the same icloud account.

Highlighted
Master

1Unhappyperson,

I completely understand your frustration. Most of our new plans include mobile hotspot. For more information, please visit www.sprint.com/plans.

Crystal G
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

This is partially accurate and ,to be clear, I did not claim to be able to access specific settings or be prevented from accessing settings. I'm claiming the inherent functionality has either been blocked by Sprint, or the OS versioning is carrier-specific (in this case omitting the feature outright).

I'll further give you that I should have mentioned that I have a MacBook Pro, late 2013 with Yosemite newly installed. The feature is absent. Network settings on the phone reset after iOS update; the feature is absent.

In brief, Sprint has gone out of its way to ensure the feature is inaccessible, hamstringing the potential of the device rather significantly.

As a side note, I have also had an issue with the newly configured AirDrop feature. I won't speculate without further experimentation and research, but my initial hypothesis is that this feature is also affected by the OS config stipulated by Sprint.

Master

JLW_D8S- More than happy to look into this with you. Do you have the hotspot feature on your line? - Steph
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So the new iOS gives that function but if it shows no where on the phone hotspot anywhere, then something is wrong with that . So how do u plan on fixing that

Journeyman

Steph sprintcare,

What I'm saying is that Apple has built-in the "Instant Hotspot" feature as part of its new iOS operating system. This is independent of a carrier-provided service (the service to which you are referring).

I do not have the added $20 a month hotspot plan provided by Sprint. I was sincerely looking forward to having access to the functionality by way of my phone's new operating system (iPhone 5s). What I am saying is Sprint has deliberately removed the operating system functionality in order to maintain its grip on their proprietary hotspot service. Further, I'm not saying Sprint's illogical in this approach (no one wants angry shareholders upset at losing a billable service), but then there's an ideological conflict that alienates subscribers...  it doesn't matter what you're able to bill for when you have no subscribers*.

*If you're thinking about the success of the current subscriber engagement initiative, remember it isn't how you get them as much as it is in how you keep'em.

Journeyman

I've been a long time Sprint customer with an unlimited data plan. Am I not able to use this new feature in iOS 8 on my iPhone 5S?

Journeyman

Crystal this is not a service offered by sprint this is a apple ios8 feature that sprint will not allow...why?

I Pay good money for the service that sprint offers......I spend money with Apple to be able to use these features.... So why?

Master

DrewS75 - That's not good. Is it giving you an error message? Keep me posted. - Latonya
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

We have 5 lines up for renewal with Sprint. We were going to all get iPhones, primarily due to this feature.

I guess we are going to find another company. Sucks to be Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat