cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

Go to solution
Master

Re: iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

1Unhappyperson,

I definitely would hate to see you leave. I hear and understand this feature is very important to you. I would hate to see you switch providers over one feature. With this feature on other providers it may cause you to exceed your data usage.

*Liz
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't modify iOS, it comes straight from Apple. The hotspot feature has long been an additional pay-for service, and it doesn't look like that has changed. The finding of devices is the new feature, not the hotspot itself. It's still overpriced at other carriers too. Remain calm, consider a dedicated prepay hotspot if you have multiple devices and an occasional need. I'm hoping for more reasonable hotspot pricing as well.

Master

JLW_D8S - Thanks for the post. That is definitely a nice feature to have. It is a decision that goes way above me. Hopefully it comes to a decision where everyone is happy. - Carl
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I may be late here, but doesn't the instant hotspot need an iphone 6??

Master

nsvogt,

Please know the Instant Hotspot feature is for iOS8 for all Apple products that have been updated to the new Operating system, and not just for the iPhone 6.

Thank you,

KC
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So what you're saying is Apple is now allowing their iOS devices themselves to be used as a hotspot via the software, but the customer still has to have and pay for the hotspot service through their carrier in order to use it?

Journeyman

I don't believe so. It's purely a new software feature through iOS 8.

Master

DrewS75 Thanks for posting. Hot Spot has always been an add-on service for your device to share it's mobile connection to other connected devices. There has not been a change due to another's company announcement. David Sprint Social Care
Master

DrewS75,

The feature was always available on the iPhone's, it's just being highlighted on the iOS 8.

- JaSherai
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I just got off the phone with Apple and they explained everything to me. Instant Hotspot is in fact, an easier, more visual way for users to access and use their device as a mobile hotspot. If you do not currently have or pay to have a mobile hotspot service with your carrier (in this case Sprint), the Instant Hotspot feature will not work. This applies to all carriers. Apple should probably have a disclaimer on their website where that feature is discussed (unless I'm missing it) to help alleviate the confusion.

Journeyman

Gratuitous apostrophes aside, I think this is the reason why I'm going to be taking advantage of the "we'll pay your ETF" offers of one of the competitors.

Let's compare this to soda. If I buy access to a liter bottle of soda, I get up to a liter of soda and pay for more...that's fair. If I buy access to unlimited soda and I get one cup for one person to drink, I drink all I want, and that's fair (though when you decide I'm having too much and start bringing me a thimble at a time, that's kind of BS-y).

But when I buy a liter of soda and you want to charge me extra for a plan to drink it out of more than one cup, because it's "an add-on service," that's not OK, regardless of the fact that you've been getting away with it.

I'm paying for a GB of data for each of 3 people. Considering it's not a feature you implement (it's in the phone already...your only contribution has been to spend your time and resources to charge users who want it after you have it disabled), and it's not a feature that's offering me more (I'm still limited to a GB), you're charging a LOT of money disproportionately to what you are giving me, to offer me the opportunity to get what I'm already paying for. And to make it a "value add" or a "choice" by throwing a little more data in for the fee whether I need it or not, that doesn't pass the sniff test of anything other than seeing whether it's a plain old money grab.

What you're telling us in doing that, is what we're telling you by not paying for it and leaving, which is a song that Cee-Lo Green sang and had to re-record as "forget you."

Journeyman

I'm with all of you. Why sprint customers do not have the instant hotspot feature available in our iPhone?

The reason is clear.... Sprint still want the customers to pay for hotspot. Even if Apple is offering this feature through the new OS 8 for free.

If sprint don't fix this problem I bet that lots of customer will leave sprint. And I'm one of them.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat