cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

Go to solution
Master

Re: iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

BBBWWWI definitely understand where you are coming from. Keep us posted! - MitzieSprint Social Care
Journeyman

please let me know this is unfair of sprint!

Master

tdunn523,

Thanks for your post. I am not sure why you feel this is unfair of Sprint. I assume you have looked at Apples website regarding the iOS 8 feature Instant Hotspot which you can read towards the bottom of this page http://bit.ly/1mzm032 . It basically states that Instant Hotspot allows you to connect your Apple devices to your phone's personal hotspot when your iPhone is close by. They just made it quicker to connect to the personal hotspot feature on your phone.

On Apples website they advise to contact your carrier for information and pricing to use the personal hotspot feature. You can read it at this link http://bit.ly/18fCg2b . There is also a discussion on Apples Support Communities that discusses this at this web address https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6541026 . The user guide for iOS 8 states under Personal Hotspot "Note:This feature may not be available with all carriers. Additional fees may apply. Contact your carrier for more information."

Our new Family Share Pack includes the mobile hotspot feature at no additional charge. The data usage comes out of the data allowance that you have chosen on that plan. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Barry

Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

He's just upset because he thinks that something changed technologically that Apple is now providing the hotspot service instead of Sprint. And sprint is still charging for it. In all fairness, cell phone service is ridiculously expensive, and the billing structure is a web of deceit and confusion, but that's not specific to Sprint. We see ads that promise us things, and we believe them. But the ads talk about prices that don't actually exist once you add in all of the taxes, surcharges, and fees. We're perpetually being misled, and charged extra. And it sucks. But it's not carrier specific, and it hasn't really changed with the iPhone 6. But there was hope, and the hope is being crushed, by a mixture of reality, and well-meaning Sprint reps, and what appear to be chat bots.

if you don't want people to be upset when they transition from what the ads make them believe to what you're actually selling, then you should strive to match them up more closely. But of course you have to tell stories as compelling as your competitors, or you'll lose customers. Truthfully, it would suck just as much with somebody else. I've looked. I like my iPhone, and I've done pretty well with Sprint, but the hotspot pricing really is unreasonably harsh. And it sucks you in like quicksand.

Could I get 500 meg for 5 days for $5 non-recurring? I'd do that about 10 different times per year. I bet others would like to try out the hotspot feature for a fair price without strings or commitments.

Journeyman

Its a total rip off to pay extra for a feature your phone comes with, especially if your data is unlimited. Hotspot should be free to use once you have available data.

Journeyman

Instead bragging about Sprint polices, get the work done and provide customers what they want. You are not getting paid to brag? are you? I mean than i feel sorry for kind of work you do.

Master

Mr.King - We definitely don't want you to feel this way. The hotspot on the iPhone or any smart phone is a feature that works only if the service is activated. The hotspot service is provided at a cost. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. - Andy
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Dear SprintCare,

There is a problem here that is going beyond your policies about the Hotspot service. And that problem, simply, is that you're ignoring the actual question, and you're simply stating policy.

BBBWWW posted the question clearly, and your response is an amazingly inappropriate "understand where you are coming from. Keep us posted!"

When tdunn claims that you're being unfair, you only highlight that truth when you say "The data usage comes out of the data allowance that you have chosen on that plan." If it's like that on Family Share, why isn't it like that on all limited data plans?

When Apple says, as you point out, "Note:This feature may not be available with all carriers. Additional fees may apply" they are acknowledging that "some companies are insisting on charging to activate a feature for a revenue stream, so don't complain to them when your carrier decides to try to get something for nothing."

You are telling me that my "1GB of data that you pay for, is for your phone, otherwise this would be tethering."

Ready? Here's the question part, so I will ask this again, hoping that you'll actually take the time to read the following question and actually answer it:

***I am paying for 1GB of data. Why do you care whether I use it on my phone or tether it if I'm paying for a fixed amount. What, service, other than nonsensically differentiating between tethering and hotspotting, are you actually providing me that even remotely justifies charging one freaking cent?

Please don't waste our time anymore telling us what your plans and policies are. We know. If we didn't know, we wouldn't be complaining about you charging us for not offering anything that's not already built into the phone, and we wouldn't be complaining about the fact that you keep telling us what we know instead of answering your customers' questions.

Journeyman

I'm starting to see the fallacy of discussing something with someone who doesn't take the time to read or think, so I have decided to just put Sprint's next response here for them:

Dear MrBeny -- The hotspot on the iPhone or any smart phone is a feature that works only if the service is activated, since we have worked hard with Apple to make sure we can turn DEactivate it if we can increase revenue without providing any extra benefit whatsoever to you. The hotspot service is provided at a cost, and while it looks as if we keep evading the question as to why, oooh...look...there's a pretty bird up there!

We are sorry you're unhappy, but we'd rather give non-answers rather than an explanation. This comes from our two-pronged strategy of customer service, which is to employ people who know how to answer a question to deploy our greedy strategy, and also to employ people who are not smart enough to know how to answer a question. That is our ploy.

If you still want something you're already paying for, you can take pictures with your phone currently. However, we're soon going to be looking into disabling your camera's flash. When we do, please rest assured that we'll be offering you a way to pay for that also, with plans that give you more choices. Because what customer doesn't enjoy having more choices!

Please keep in mind that whether or not anything actually *IS* fair, logical or ethical, that is our policy so we reserve the right to pretend we're answering your questions while instead simply telling you that it is our policy. Because that helps and is good for everybody.

So depending on which representative is typing this, you, the customer, can either go pound sand because I have nothing but contempt for you, or I am very glad that I have answered your question perfectly once more because I'm very goodly at doing that.

Master

Hello MrBeny,

How may I help you today?

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hahaha...really? Maybe by reading the posts we're posting and answering those questions? Was that a serious question or just trying to show that the cranial-rectal insertion quotient is high on purpose?

You want to help us today? Here's the extended question we're continuing to ask and continuing to not get answered:

I am paying for 1GB of data...it's not unlimited. Why do you care whether I use it on my phone or tether it if I'm paying for a fixed amount, since there's nothing magical about that data which makes it "for phones only" (other than your team saying, "uhhh...it's for phones only.") Your ability to activate a feature that Apple has already built into the phone doesn't mean you're giving us anything...it only means that you're letting us pay to have what's already there. What service, other than nonsensically paying reps to publicly differentiate between tethering and hotspotting, are you actually providing me that even remotely justifies charging one cent?

Can you answer this without simply explaining to us policies since we already know them and are obviously objecting to them?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint: can you read? Are you in second grade? If you can then please answer the question posed by Mr. Beny and others that asks why Sprint has disabled the integral hotspot feature of ios8.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat