cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: iOS 8 Instant Hotspot (part of the new "Continuity" suite)

What is wrong with you guys? Sprint has the [inappropriate word removed] network. Most of the time, customers are forced to stay on 3G network even though coverage clearely shows entire area under LTE coverage. The Sprint LTE coverage map is nothing besides false advertising practice to deceive customers to switch on their 2G network.  Sprint intentionally modify subscriber settings for those customers who are on unlimited data in such manner where customers phone automatically will be prioritize to connect on 3G network, and LTE spectrum is reserve for shared plans or newer Sprint plans. FCC really need to investigate Sprint subscriber settings and how they are manipulating network settings only to those customers with unlimited plans or older Sprint plans. If you are a Mac user, than upgrading to IOS 8 and to Mavericks simply would not make any sense, since majority of the updated OS features are specifically designed for tethering or both devices are connected on the same wifi network. Sprint customer service has gone down the drain, and waiting period to talk to a real representative has gotten ridiculous. Thousands were given laid-off under cost cutting strategy and outcome is very transparent. In fact, Sprint roaming allowance has been shrunk to 100MB of data and 400 minutes per month. Theoretically speaking, Sprint 3G speeds are so slow that customers would never hit that threshold where their money is well spent. Majority of the users don't even hit 2GB/month due to sluggish speeds and watching videos is just nerve-racking. Unlimited plans offered by Sprint is a trap and what is the point to be on unlimited data plans when the network indeed is not usable? Half of the network subscriber settings are missing under phone network configurations and everything is restricted in terms of tethering or other standard features given by other carriers. Best thing is to stay away from Sprint. They are financially broke and don't have the right resources or assets to enhance their [inappropriate word removed] network. The new CEO is cutting cost by reducing customer support, roaming allowance etc etc!!!!!! One last thing, don't expect your issues to be solved by talking to these online agents. They are useless and time consuming.

Message was edited by: The Moderator
This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

Master

Folks,  Apple's iOS has featured an available hot spot for quite some time, but iOS8's Instant HotSpot is bringing these questions to the forefront.  While Apple makes your device, they design these options to function in line with the way your carrier sets up your plan, which sounds like what DrewS75 found when he spoke to them directly.  Unlimited data plans (regardless of device type) are intended to be all-you-can-use on your device only, not for streaming to other devices.  As mentioned, there are ways to enable the HotSpot.  If you're on one of the older Everything Data plans, Unlimited: My Way, or our new $60 Unlimited, you can add a HotSpot feature but you do have to pay more for it.  We also have the our My All In plan which comes with a 5GB Hot Spot built into the price.  Finally, you may be eligible to move to the Family Data Share Pack which carries no extra charge for the HotSpot but usage does pull from your data allowance. - Christy

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Christy,

Unfortunately I'm not sure if yours is a wrong answer, a bad answer or just plain disingenuous.

"Apple's iOS has featured an available hot spot for quite some time, but iOS8's Instant HotSpot is bringing these questions to the forefront."

-- Yes. The Instant HotSpot is bringing these questions to the forefront because something that was available and desired (and already built into the infrastructure) is now even more attractive.

"While Apple makes your device, they design these options to function in line with the way your carrier sets up your plan."

-- Not the WHOLE truth. Apple makes the device and carriers insist on the ability to charge to make the option available. Whether someone pays for 1GB of data and actually gets it, or has to pay more to access it differently, Apple gets no more or less money and has no advantage.

"Unlimited data plans (regardless of device type) are intended to be all-you-can-use on your device only, not for streaming to other devices."

-- Not the WHOLE truth. They are intended to be all-you-can-use on your device only, but they are intended that BY SPRINT, not by technology. And this is a bogus argument that doesn't address those of us who are paying for a specific amount of data, not unlimited. We are paying for no reason other than you can charge extra money without having to do anything, which is a pure profit center. Standing in front of a light switch in a home we own with electricity we pay for, and then setting a fee for us to pay to move you out of the way isn't innovation or even providing a service -- it's a shakedown.

The one thing that Sprint has yet to be able to answer (yourself included, Christy), is *WHY* are you charging extra for mobile hotspot. Let's get past the "here's what the plans are," and "here's how it is designed" straw arguments and look at the actual logic.

I pay Sprint X$ per month and I get the ability to make phone calls. I pay Sprint Y$ per month and get access to data. I have the option to spend Z$ per month for protection plans, etc. So in a fair, logical business relationship, I pay you for a feature or a function, and you provide that feature or function.

But in this case, we already paid for a phone that has the functionality built in and we already pay for the data that a second device could use.

So when it comes to charging me to access the hotspot, what exactly is the function that Sprint is doing for us that makes the feature cost us even one cent?

I eagerly await a reply.

Journeyman

Thanks for this post, mr beny! After reading this thread I now understand why I can't get this feature to work after having installed iOS 8 to my phone and iPad. Now I need to find a carrier that will embrace this feature. Do you know of any?

Master

BBBWWW - We would hate to see you go. Let us know if there's anything we can assist you with. We're here to help. - Latonya
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Well, if you want to keep me and a lot of iOS 8 users then you should restore the hotspot capability of ios 8 and NOT charge extra for it. Ask yourself, "what would Richard Branson do" to keep his customers happy. I am not happy, so what is Sprint going to do?

Journeyman

Latonya,

You were telling BBBWWW to let you know if there's anything you can assist with.

How about me? I'd love an answer to my message.

I was saying that in a fair, logical business relationship, I pay you for a feature or a function, and you provide that feature or function.

But in this case, we already paid for a phone that has the functionality built in and we already pay for the data that a second device could use.

So when it comes to charging me to access the hotspot, what exactly is the function that Sprint is doing for us that makes the feature cost us even one cent?

Since we can all see somebody is there reading and responding, I STILL eagerly await a reply.

Master

BBBWWW - Hey, thanks for the post. I appreciate your concern and we are looking into it. As soon as the final decision is made, it will be posted on newsroom.sprint.com. - Carl
Sprint Social Care
Master

MrBeny,

We understand your concern. Sprint provides unlimited data plans that allows you to surf the web and access certain applications that requires data on your device. The Hotspot is built-in but does have a different function. The Hotspot gives off internet to devices that are connected to it. This is why it is considered an add-on service. It doesn't have the same function as receiving data to your device.

- Sophia
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

You guys are really, really good saying you understand our concern, but then showing quickly that you don't understand at all.

The hotspot is built in and has a different function. We know. It gives off internet to devices that are connected to it. We know.

So. The question remains. If I'm paying for 1 GB of data (not unlimited), and the phone I paid for has the function built in ALREADY, what is the add-on part that Sprint is providing that I am paying you for to use my own paid-for data as I please?

Can someone from Sprint actually understand and answer this?

Master

MrBeny,

The hotspot feature is an add-on. The 1GB of data that you pay for, is for your phone, otherwise this would be tethering. We do not support tethering that is why we offer hotspot plans. If you have one of these plans you will be able to use the Instant Hotspot feature through your device. Per Apple's website "Check with your carrier for hotspot availability" this information can be seen at the bottom of their page: http://bit.ly/1nKPdIG Please let me know if you need further assistance adding the hotspot feature to your plan.

*Liz
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Liz, the whole point is that Sprint has decided to create another revenue by separating an integral function of the new software yet remaining in the past and charging it as an 'extra' I just want to tether my iPad mini to my phone (as hotspot). I should NOT pay extra for tethering my own devices. That is why I am currently looking for a new carrier. When I find the one who embraces Apple's hotspot feature I will be sure to tell all my iPhone carrying friends about it. Do you get it now?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat